Saturday, November 10, 2007

Expecting

Expecting

Luke 8:40 Now when Jesus returned, a crowd welcomed him, for they were all expecting him. (NIV)

John 1:29 The next day he saw Jesus coming to him, and said, "Behold, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world! (NAS) Others came to see a man John came to see the Messiah, the one who takes away the sin of the world. The religious leaders said, who is this man. While the religious leaders were full of suspicion, John was full of faith. He came expecting.

I looked up synonyms of expecting and found the words, anticipate, hope, trust, await, look forward to, bare, carry, pregnant, having a baby, in the family way.

When we come to church, what do we expect to get out of it. What are we expecting? What are we carrying in our wombs?

Are we expecting God to show up and show out, are we expecting to show out?

Are we expecting to spend quality time praising and worshipping the Lord, or are we expecting to see what we can find to criticize.

Are we expecting to hear the Word of God preached or are we expecting to pick apart a sermon.

I believe one of our problems is that we expect everything from the Lord, yet are unwilling to give anything. Oh, most of us give our tithes and offerings but I am talking about giving our time and talents. The Lord has give each of us a talent, a gift. 1 Pet 4:10 As each one has received a {special} gift, employ it in serving one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God. (NAS)

In the seventies there were a lot of preachers preaching about the coming of the Lord. As a young Christian, I was convienced that the Lord would come in 1981. In the middle 80's a man wrote a book entitled 88 reasons the Lord will return in 88. I threatned to write on entitled 89 reasons the Lord may return in 89. I said that I can copy his book and add one paragraph. Reason #89. He did not come in 88.

Are you aware that this generation is the first on that usre the return of Christ. He said; Matt 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come. (NIV)

How many of you would not miss a service because you were concerned that you may miss something. Well what happened to your expectation? You can blame it on the leadership, but I believe we have to take the blame. Are we praying, with expectation. We must add faith to our prayer. If you ask, expect to believe. Paul said; It is impossible to please God without faith”.

I like to say it like this; “why worry when you pray, and why pray when you worry”.

Waiting, paiently

Ps 130:6 My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen wait for the morning, more than watchmen wait for the morning.

Ps 37:10 A little while, and the wicked will be no more; though you look for them, they will not be found.

Ps 40:1 I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry.

Isa 40:31 but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

Greek: Wait, hope qavah (kaw-vaw'); to bind together, to expect:

Some people come to church like women shop. Women go to see what is there or what is available. Men go to get what the want. Arleen often complaines that I pay too much for what I get. She says, she cannot take me shopping because I spend too much. I thought that was what we were going to do, spend money. Some people come to church to see what is there. To see what they can find to talk about. You will leave with whatever you came for.

Commitment

I believe the reason that the divorce rate is so high in the US is a lack of commitment. And one of the biggest problems in the church today is a lack of commitment.